The Student and Academic Services at the Universities at Shady Grove will host its very first Celebrating Women in STEMM event on Tuesday, October 9th from 3-6pm. The event is a mini-symposium focusing on education and career pathways for women in STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Medical). There will be a panel discussion, networking, activities, and information for students and attendees.
This event will:
- Increase the awareness about challenges that women face in STEMM either in education or workplace and discuss the possible remedies and strategies to manage them.
- Familiarize students with different career pathways in STEMM that they could consider for their future
- Encourage students already in STEMM fields to stay in STEMM fields
The panelists will talk about their educational and professional experiences and share their advice with students who would like to pursue STEMM careers. Following the panel discussion there will be a demonstration and resource fair, as well as professional networking. Organizations such as NASA, the Rockville Science Center, Integrated Pharma, and Lonza are scheduled to participate.
The featured panelist are:
- Annica Wayman, Ph.D., Associate Dean of UMBC, TLST
- Alexis Bossie, Ph.D., Head of Media of Therapeutic Cell Solution
- Mina Izadjoo, Ph.D., President and Chief Science Officer of Integrated Pharma
- Poorva Dharkar, Ph.D., MBA, President of Association of the Women In Science, Bethesda Chapter
- Jana Goodwin, Ph.D, RN, CNE, Assistant Professor at USG, Director, BSN Program, OAD
- Chioma Obi, M.D., MPH, Maryland Tech Connection
- Treniece Terry, Ph.D., Senior Associate/Chemical Engineer, Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute
- Somara Theodore, Meteorologist, NBC 4 Washington
- Moderator, Raquel Marhsall, PhD, Electrical Engineer and Second-Career Educator from NASA,
Registration is FREE! Register today!
If you have any question, please feel free to contact Parisa Meisami.